Wednesday, 22 April 2009

MY MAGAZINE

After lots of hardwork and time i have finally completed my magazine called 'GRAZED'. I like the finished result, as i think the colour theme fits the genre of the magazine well and intended target audience.



This is the cover for my magazine. I use purple, black and white as my main colour theme which i used repeatdley to create a specific house style. The colours also have connotations of rock and indie, especially the bold purple which has connoations of energy and upbeat. I used typical music magazine conventions such as sell lines, an example of this would be the list of bands, as well as the 'WIN! tickets to see friendly fires live'. By including this convention, it shows a link with music as there is a prize for a gig. Therefore i am associating an auidence pleasure with music, like a typical music magazine. I also used a main image of an musician, therefore emphasizing the genre of the magazine. I wanted my artist to wear modern, indie type of clothes which would help to emphasize the genre of the magazine. By using bold lipstick and a lether jacket i feel as though the genre or rock/indie has been emphasized. Also by using a barcode, issue number, date and price i have followed the typical magazine conventions, these are required for most magazines. I also used a variety of textface, which is shown through the use of serif and sans serif fonts on my cover. I also incorporated the idea of upper case, which is typical of a music magazine.

For my contents page i followed the colour theme through to create a house style, i left the page fairly simple, so it is easy to read and less confusing. I didn't use alot of images as i felt as though the page should stay simple and easy to read.This is because i often find that contents pages are confusing and by keeping it simple it is easy to read and follow through. I also have a target audience for older teenagers and young adults, therefore bold wiritng rather than imagery was more appealing. Whilst reading and researchign through other music magazines i was aware that the editor often had their say on the contents page, i thought this was a brilliant idea to incorporate someones point of view and therefore i used this idea. The signature used was originally on paper, which i signed myself. I then scanned and uploaded this image onto my laptop, which i then cropped before placing it onto my contents page. I think this allows the magazine to appear more realistic.





This is my double page spread, which is of the band called 'Serenade Squad'. The band was made up however i feel as though the photographs allow the band to appear realistic. I incorportaed the colour theme of the clothes in photographs with the colour theme of the page. I did this by using colour within boxes and fonts. I rotated the pictures to allow the atmosphere of this page to be laid back and calm. I used alot of bold colours to attract the reader. I used the colours red, blue and white as they are the colours for the british flag. I wanted to empphasize the idea that the band were british and punks which Britain is knownf or music wise. The colours also have connotations of rock, heavy and dark, which i believe represents the bands genre of music well. I used a box in the cornor to emphasize what this page is by stating it was an interview, which is a tupical magazine convention. I also incorporated the page number along with text stating who took the pictures along with the article. The text i used was bold and in uppercase to create a bold loud feel which i used to represent the personality of the band, this is also a typical music magazine convention. Within my images i used instruments as props to allow the reader to understand that this is a band, another music magzine convention. I used an electric guitar and drum sticks to help emphasize the idea that the band were a rock band, which is known for its heavy drum lines. I felt as though the props were effective in creating a music atmosphere and helped to establish who was who in the band, which is another convention used by magazines.
Below are drafts. After throughly considering the genre of my magazine, whilst researching other magazines i decided that my drafts weren't realistic enough. For example on the cover of my draft the font was ahrd to read, therefore i applied a shadow and lining to allow the sell line to stand out and be bold.





The draft contents was for a mnonthly magazine, however i felt as though the contents was limited, and was very small. To allow it to appear realsitic and more liek amonthly magazine i added more topics and pages to create an effect that the magazine was covered with information.


For my double page spread i felt as though the layout was very simple despite the fact that i used typical magazine conventins such as the page number and arrow guiding the audience to the next page. I thought that the colour scheme was too varied, therefore i decided to cut out of the blue and leave a white and red theme as the navy within the mise en scene could be used to represent the british flag, along with british rock. I felt as though the boxes enabled the magazine to appear fake and cheap, i therefore cut these out and decided to keep the page simple, whilst embedding quotes. Typical to a magazine convention.

1 comment:

  1. your contents page is amazing! i love the black and white house style on it too because it all fits in :) x

    ReplyDelete